Home of random thoughts, misguided musings, wicked words and the men who make them.

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

The Sorceror Series: Sweet Haarlem Cafe


And the Universe opened...
Though this painting was probably done before the last one this is were it stands in my narrative. On a trip to Amsterdam, I dragged myself from the Coffee Houses in Amsterdam to visit coffee houses in other cities in Holland. One such city was the namesake of New York's Harlem: Haarlem. The name is pronounced with that hawking nearly Germanic sound that is created with excessive amounts of flim. I know because, high as a kite, I approached the train conductor stood about three inches from his nose and asked at the top of my voice," is this the train to Harlem?" Being nearly a half foot taller than me (I remember this because I was tip toe to yell at him) he very kindly corrected my pronunciation and replied that I was on the right deck, without busting me in the chops. I suppose they are use to zooted American tourists. Of course I didn't know I was being loud but my companion, who was behind me snickering through the whole ordeal, later asked me why I was talking so loud and I admitted cause I was high as fuck!!!!! Anyway we spent a beautiful day in Haarlem and found Cafe Haarlem. I sat to enjoy a tea and a um smoke and my friend took a picture which this painting was inspired by. Sweet Harlem Cafe was a name that came from a script a friend wrote years ago that spoke of a magical place where the black intellectuals and artists hung out in during the Harlem Renaissance. I always loved the idea of the place and it connected to my strange experiences in Holland. The Painting represents a moment of peace and understanding during a very tumultuous time in my life. Once again you see the glowing left hand of the Sorceror(which is connected to the creative side of the brain) and his body melds into the Abyss, the Universe. And there is the Turtle the constant companion, familiar and totem of the Sorceror. But I'll explain that in the next painting.

Next entry will be back to the comic story showing thumbnails and sketches reaching towards the final project.

Until then: A lingua continua (Swahili for the struggle continues)

Oh and I wanna write Kevin L. Patrick in here so search engines may find this place.

Elias

5 Comments:

Blogger SuperOceanLad said...

Hey Elias, good stuff. I like the pants alot. (Probably not the deepest comment in the world) but I do. What is the symbol behind the sorcerer?

Anybody else reading this?

1:00 AM, February 10, 2006

 
Blogger jk said...

I'm reading it on the brief occasions when I pull myself from the basement.
This picture and the story that go with it are incredible.

And Yes! The pants! Oh! The PANTS!!

9:41 AM, February 10, 2006

 
Blogger Elias Infinity said...

I think I was trying to get a fluid Georgia O'Keefe brushstroke going on the pants. Sensual ain't they.

Thanks.

4:35 PM, February 10, 2006

 
Blogger SuperOceanLad said...

Yes, but I can't believe you just got me to agree your pants are sensual.

7:04 PM, February 11, 2006

 
Blogger Elias Infinity said...

Sorry it took so long to respond SuperOceanLad. The symbol is Gye Nyama. Its and Adinka symbol from Africa it means:
"No was here to see its beginning and no one will be here to see its end.
Except God."

I saw on some things my brother brought from West Africa back in 1996 and find a nice necklace when I was up in Philly half a decade ago. It keeps show up in my life and its about a sense of determination and humility.

12:12 PM, February 21, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
/body>